Menchville Archery Team earns a shot at States with Regional Tournament win

Menchville’s Archery Team, back and bigger than ever, took first place in the first competition of the 2018 season.

The Menchville Archery Team claimed another first place victory Friday at the Newport News Regional Archery Tournament on January 26th. Menchville had a team score of 3219, improving 43 points from their total at last year’s tournament and cementing the team’s spot at the Virginia State Archery Tournament in March.

In addition to taking first overall team, Menchville students swept the individual archer categories, with first, second, and third place wins in both the girls and boys divisions.

Sophomore and Academic Archer Felix Arsenault and Junior Chris Kessel took second and third in the boys category, with scores of 280 and 275, respectively. Senior and NASP Academic Archer Alan McGuire won first place with a score of 281. McGuire shot 25 points higher than his score at the Regional Tournament last year and hit fifteen 10s in the center of the target.

Senior Sherry Paranuk, with a score of 272, and Freshman Hannah Hollis, with a 270, placed second and third in the girls division. First place in the girls category was won by Sophomore and Academic Archer Courtney Hodge with a score of 284 and sixteen perfect 10s. Hodge also ranked first overall in the tournament, and her score of 284 (a 22-point improvement from her showing at last year’s Regional Tournament) was the highest of the competition.

The members of the Menchville Archery Team will now practice and prepare for their next competition, the Virginia State Archery Tournament, on March 10. During the 2017 season, the team advanced all the way to the NASP World Archery Tournament after consistently placing high in regional, state, and national competitions. With such a strong start at the Regional Tournament, the team is well on their way to going to Worlds again this summer.

Archer Scores:

Courtney Hodge- 284

Alan McGuire- 281

Felix Arsenault- 280

Chris Kessel- 275

Sherry Paranuk- 272

Hannah Hollis- 270

Ethan Pittman- 268

Tyrek Lee- 264

Hailee Ward- 261

Juliana Cerny- 260

Mohummed Taha- 259

Ben Beal- 259

Anthony Cretacci- 256

Elisa Konop- 256

Noah Reynolds- 255

Chris von Schmidt-Pauli- 254

Curtis Merkel- 253

Ethan Matthews- 248

Andrew Ross- 244

Andrew Marcum- 243

Kynlee Johnson- 239

Michael Koutsogiannis- 233

Beth Ellis- 232

Ashley Johnson- 217

Dorianne Ras- 211

David Lembersky- 189

Brittany Steele- 170