Psychological Fears- Medical Professionals during the Pandemic


The pandemic of 2020 will be in history books.

Read that again.

The pandemic of 2020 will be in history books and if you’re reading this, it means you probably have survived a disease labeled ‘The Worst’ since the Spanish Flu of 1918. When we grow up, our children will ask us to tell them stories of living in isolation for almost a full year; they ask because they need to write about Covid-19 for a school paper. Taking a look back at all that has happened with this disease, how much do we really know about what’s happening on the inside?

According to cross-sectional studies from the , healthcare workers who engaged in caring for patients with the Covid-19 infection reported psychological-related outcomes such as depression, stress, anxiety, fear, phobia, sleep disorders, and more. By working extremely long hours and in such close proximity to patients, healthcare providers are more likely to have emotional trauma during these unusual times than in the past as places of work are understaffed, lack of equipment and/or high levels of experience.

When interviewed, 100% of twelve participants that are medical professionals said they experienced stress amidst the pandemic while 75% expressed anxiety, another 75% experienced fear, 25% felt exhausted, and 25% felt the weight of depression on their shoulders. A worker located at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, who wishes to remain anonymous, said, “I feared bringing Covid home to my family,” while another from Nationwide Children’s Hospital said, “I feared the rate of transmission and the lack of knowledge of Covid-19.” When asked if their home life was affected in any way during the pandemic, all participants agreed that their lives were, in fact, changed. One nurse said she was unable to see her family for two weeks adding to her stress. One question, ‘What was the hardest part about working in this field as Coronavirus captured the world?’, was answered as follows, “As a healthcare professional, I would have preferred to be more involved in the decision-making process surrounding COVID-related protocols.”  To conclude the interview, the participants were asked if they felt better now than they did at the beginning of the pandemic 60% of medical professionals said yes while the other 40% said no.

As the virus continues to spread across the world, many healthcare workers are put at high risk for mental illness. It is vital, especially during these times, to check in on your loved ones in the field and lend a helping hand even when we can’t be close. Help your neighbors with their lawn, help your mothers or fathers with chores around the house, and remember to keep your distance in public and wear a mask!

Stay safe, help put an end to the virus.