Fare Share Hosts City-Wide Canned Food Drive

Fare Share partnered with NNPS Youth Development to organize and host a city-wide canned food drive.

Courtesy of Peter Mercier

Update: Schools were able to raise over $4,000 in monetary donations, and 2,896 pounds of food. Those donations will be used to help provide 18, 513 meals to families in need.

Every year, Menchville’s Lead4Change team, Fare Share, manages a school-wide canned food drive, and makes all donations out to the Virginia Peninsula Foodbank. However, with COVID-19 forbidding access to school and in-person learning, a school-wide food drive unfortunately cannot happen this year.

Instead, Fare Share has partnered up with NNPS Youth Development this year to organize and host a city-wide canned food drive.

Beginning Wednesday, October 21 through Wednesday, October 28, non-perishable food items can be dropped off at the following locations between 12pm and 2pm:

Achievable Dream Academy (Elementary)

Heritage High School

Crittenden Middle School

Warwick High School

Kiln Creek Elementary School

Denbigh High School

Denbigh Early Childhood Learning Center

Richneck Elementary School

Fare Share is also looking for volunteers to help run the drop-off stations. Volunteers must be students, parents of a student, or NNPS employees, unless otherwise approved by the schools. If anyone is interested in volunteering, they may contact Mr. Pete Mercier, or any member of the Fare Share team for the sign-up links. (Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, if you do not feel comfortable being around other people, Fare Share asks that you do not volunteer. The health, comfort, and safety of all volunteers is the number one priority).

Furthermore, the team has started a crowdfunding campaign with the Virginia Peninsula Foodbank, and have challenged every other school in the city to raise as many funds as possible. Donations can be made at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/menchvillehs, and all food and funds collected and raised will go directly to the Peninsula Foodbank. Any sized donation will help provide people in need in our community with much needed food for themselves and their families.

If you have any questions, please email Pete Mercier at [email protected].