National Bullying Month Awarness

Newport News Schools has filled the calendar with events to unite the community.

October is National Bullying Prevention Month. It unites communities nationwide to educate and raise awareness of bullying prevention. In hopes to put an end to hatred and raise an increasing awareness of the prevalence and impact of all forms of bullying on all children of all ages Newport News families are invited to participate in a variety of activities during the month of October.  Early in the month, students wore blue to STAND together against bullying.  Operation kindness day was recognized on October 9th.  The Sanford Elementary School Seagulls participated with a video showing how they are kind. 

October 16th is Newport News Schools Arts Day. This event “will give students (pre-K through 12) an opportunity to showcase their art, photography, musical talent, dance, drama, spoken word/poetry, etc.,” according to the Newport News Schools Website.  Students can submit their entry using this FORM.  They can also post their entry to social media using the hashtag #NNPSARTS to win special prizes.  

October 21 is Unity Day.  The school division is asking high school students to read aloud to elementary school kids.  Contact Ms. Graham ([email protected]) in the library if you would like to set up a zoom reading at an elementary school.

Red Ribbon Week (Say No to Alcohol and Drugs) begins October 23.  Watch for more information on the STAND together for Community Day on October 28th.

For a complete list of events, check out The Newport News Schools “Stand Up for Each Other” Bullying Prevention Events Calendar.

All of these events are being conducted in hopes to not only raise awareness about National Bullying Prevention month but to also make students and faculty bond closer so everyone can feel included. Adolescent bullying is a huge problem nationwide. Not only does it cause poor school performance, but also mental and physical stress, poor self-esteem, and, in some cases, school violence.  Many children in the United States miss school each day as a result of being bullied. Administrators, teachers and parents all play a critical role in creating a bully-free environment. When adults and children stand together, bullying ends. 

The school division uses a SafeSchoolsAlert service that allows students, family members and staff to submit safety concerns relating to bullying, to school administrators. Call l (757) 750-1854 if you or a loved one are a victim or witness to any forms of bullying, threats of violence, harassment, or any safety issue of concern.  Additional information is available on the NNPS Bullying Prevention Website.