Menchville Students Attend FNV Live Campaign at ODU

Event Message: Eat more Fruits and Vegetables

Menchville students joined by Achievable Dream, Warwick, and Woodside waiting to get inside.

Several members of the Menchville chapter of SHERO attended the launch of the FNV (Fruits and Vegetables) National Campaign Friday, November 20th.  It was located at the Constant Convocation Center at Old Dominion University in Virginia. The event was hosted by the radio station, Z104 and there were appearances by many famous people, as well as First Lady, Michelle Obama.  SHERO is a group that helps get young women get into competitive colleges and teaches them strong leadership skills, “It is a girls empowerment program that seeks to expose high school and college aged girls to experiences and opportunities in areas where they are typically underrepresented: STEM, The Arts, Entrepreneurship, and leadership,” says CTE Teacher, Ms. Young. Menchville High School, Achievable Dream, Warwick High School, and Woodside High School were among the local high schools that were in attendance.

This event was all about informing the public, especially young people, about the importance of fruits and vegetables. Celebrities such as Jessica Alba, Gabrielle Union, and the First Lady, Michele Obama, all spoke about how fruits and vegetables are important. There were also celebrities that performed, including, Estelle singing her song “Conqueror.” Ashanti sang, accompanied by some ODU students, and Jordin Sparks also performed.

Menchville’s, Barneya Collins, attended the event and got a chance to be up close and experience the fun and learn about the importance of fruits and vegetables. Her favorite part of the FNV Live campaign was getting to meet First Lady, Michelle Obama. She said Michelle Obama was ” A very friendly and gave hugs. She was a genuinely nice person.” It was a great experience for young women involved with SHERO to get to attend FNV Live through their school systems.

Barneya Collins