School Schedule Change

For as long as I can remember, the school year has always began after Labor Day. Beginning August 2022, this will no longer be true. On February 15, the Newport News School Board voted on the 2022-2023 school year calendar. The school year will start on August 29, 2022, and end on June 9, 2023. Since school is going to start before Labor Day students will get that day off as a holiday, Friday, September 2. Students will also still receive a two-week winter break and a week-long spring break.  

Tracy Brooks, Assistant to the Superintendent, said the reasoning for school starting before Labor Day is based on surveys from families and staff. According to the Newport News Schools Website advantages to starting early include:

• Allows schools to more quickly address gaps in student learning that have occurred due to COVID 19 and quarantine protocols
  • Increases instructional time for students preparing for high stakes tests such as Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) program exams
  • Allows high school students to enter the summer job market sooner

The most concern, when asked about the early start date, is that summer break is shortened and students have to come back to school earlier than usual. One Menchville staff member said that it’s going to be challenging because they will have to come back to school earlier than before, but since it benefits the students it is a worthy sacrifice. 

Some of the rising seniors feel the change will be better for them. Erica Whittle, a rising senior a Menchville, said that the schedule change is going to be hard for this upcoming year, but after future years it will be easier and more natural.  This is because senior graduation dates are June 3-4, 2023.  They also like the schedule change because they get a long summer break before they have to go off to college.