Why am I taking the PSAT?

Attention Monarchs- it’s PSAT time.

On the morning of October 16, all sophomores and juniors at Menchville will be taking the Preliminary SAT (PSAT). This test is close to three hours long and contains both math and English sections.

We know what you’re thinking- ‘the PSAT doesn’t count for anything and is of no value to me.’ Well, depending on your post-high school plans, you may be right- in which case you have our sympathy for sitting through this very long exam. However, for anyone planning on going to college, here’s why the PSAT is worth your time:

Think of the “P” in the name as standing for “practice”- this is all just a practice SAT. Students who plan to apply to college will likely be taking either the SAT or the ACT, in which case the PSAT acts as a helpful guide to what your strengths and weaknesses are, and what you need to study before taking the real thing. All students who take the PSAT will be able to access scores, questions, and study materials via a free CollegeBoard account, which can help provide training for future testing. For juniors, the PSAT also offers an opportunity to compete in the National Merit Scholars program, which is a national scholarship recognition for students with PSAT scores far above average. Though very few students across the country are selected to receive scholarships from the program, students who perform well on the test can still earn a Commendation status from NMSQT, which looks great on a college application.

Whether you think the PSAT will benefit you or not, you will still be taking it on Wednesday morning. All sophomores and juniors will begin testing in first period, and normal classes will resume with fifth period around 11:00. Freshmen and seniors are not taking the test, and will instead report to their respective assemblies for the morning.

Good luck, Monarchs. Just try your best- and don’t fall asleep.