Homecoming 2018: Everything You Need to Know

The class of 2017 showed off a winning Homecoming float in 2016. What will this year bring?

Homecoming: it’s the time of year when we celebrate an old tradition of welcoming back old and new students, to honor our school’s existence.  Many anticipate this exhilarating week throughout high school because the memories are cherished for a lifetime.  Not only do students get to enjoy having fun with friends during the week of festivities, but this occasion provides new students the opportunity to participate and get involved in making this memorable moment successful.  The Student Council Association (SCA) is responsible for organizing Homecoming Week at Mencvhille.  This group of motivated and hardworking students and teachers practice and exude leadership skills through participation within the school.  The Student Council promotes school spirit during Homecoming Week, and this year the schedule is packed with activity:

1. Spirit Week– Students are asked to participate by wearing clothing that fits the theme of the day:
  • Monday (Oct. 8) – Meme Day – Dress up as your favorite meme from social media.
  • Tuesday (Oct. 9) – Squad Day – Dress up as a group with your friends, be creative.
  • Wednesday (Oct. 10) – College Day – Since the PSAT is scheduled for this day, dress in dream college apparel.
  • Thursday (Oct. 11) – Virtual Reality Day – Also the overall theme of 2018 Homecoming, dress as something related to video games and virtual reality.
  • Friday (Oct. 12) – Spirit Day – Go all out with your class color! Freshmen wear white, Sophomores wear black, Juniors yellow, and Seniors purple.
  1. Pep Rally (Oct. 12)– The first pep rally starts in the gym at 12:30, and a second will follow. Students will attend with their last period.
  2. Parade (Oct. 13) – Homecoming Parade begins at 11 a.m. at Menchville High School and travels all the way to Todd Stadium with the band, class floats, and the homecoming court.
  3. Football Game (Oct. 13) – Menchville vs. Gloucester 1 p.m. at Todd Stadium. Come support the team and see the presentation of the court!
  4. Homecoming Dance (Oct. 13) – Homecoming Dance 8 – 11 p.m. at Menchville High School.

Menchville has some of the best homecoming festivities in our district…hands down!  The creative and colorful floats in our homecoming parade are truly unique, with a class theme for each grade, and Menchville remains the only school in the district to carry on the parade tradition. This marvelous spectacle allows the Monarch community to celebrate school spirit and motivate the football team to do their best before the big game. The parade travels from Menchville High to Warwick Blvd, all the way to Todd Stadium- it can’t get better than that!

SCA class sponsor and teacher Ken Zoby  expressed some of his wonderful memories from past homecomings and his excitement for this year’s festivities, “In the past, the Menchville band has paraded through the halls of our school before the pep rally which was a very exciting moment.”  He continued, “Menchville’s SCA makes Homecoming more than just a dance floor; from the games, photo booths, and decorations, our dances seem to just keep getting better and better, and I can’t wait to see this year’s homecoming. I know it’ll be great.”

SCA president Chloe Lascara spoke about her perspective on this year’s dance as well, stating, “This year’s homecoming is going to be different from past years because we have a virtual reality theme, and that has a different meaning than what everyone might think. We will actually be bringing the video games to life to make this year’s dance very exciting.” She added, “I personally feel like most themes in the past have overlapped, however, this year is going to be different.”

The SCA (Student Council Association) holds meetings every Wednesday after school in room 120.  They are currently preparing games for the pep rally and are still coming up with creative ideas for the homecoming dance decorations and setup. Talk to Mr. Zoby in room 120 if you want to get involved in the SCA and show your school spirit.