Walkout Against Gun Violence: What You Need to Know

The internet and social media feeds have been abuzz recently with news about gun violence in schools. Following the devastating shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, which took the lives of 17 members of the school community, students across the nation have been organizing peaceful protests for stricter gun control in the United States. These protests have turned into an organized nationwide walkout in schools on Wednesday, March 14th, from 10:00 AM to 10:17 Am- 17 minutes of silence to remember the victims of Florida’s February 14th mass shooting.

Students at Menchville are allowed to participate in the peaceful protest as part of their First Amendment rights to speech and assembly, so long as the protest does not disrupt normal school activity and the learning environment. However, anyone planning to engage in the action must keep their personal safety in mind. With the walkout being such a highly publicized event, there is heightened risk of a violent incident. However likely or unlikely students feel the threat may be, Principal Bobby Surry plans to ask students to stay inside the building during this time.

As an alternative to walking outside of the school building, Menchville students are encouraged to walk down to the auditorium to protest. Here students may observe the 17 minutes of silence, and there will be discussion throughout the day about safety measures in school.

Remember, Menchville students have the right to engage in this gun violence protest, but the top priority of the teachers and administration is the safety of the students. For this reason, it is strongly urged that protesting students think about their safety on March 14th, and if they must walk out, only go to the auditorium.