US History Students Participate in “Meeting of the Minds”

Dr. Joseph Warren (Adam Dunlap), Ben Franklin (Heather Crum), Sam Adams (Christine Clark) and Sibyl Ludington (Caitlyn Davis) are prepared for the revolutionary Meeting of the Minds in AP U.S History.

Ethan Matthews

The New Wing was teeming with loyalists and patriots alike during first period as Social Studies teacher Patrick Horan’s AP US History class held their “Meeting of the Minds.” The topic of the October 12th meeting focused around the Declaration of Independence, and the worsening relationship between Britain and the American colonies.

Horan’s seminar did have one catch: every student had to assume the identity of a historical figure from the American Revolution era, patriot or loyalist. Those participants who wished to go the extra mile, and earn extra credit, took their identities to a new level with costumes. Notable patriots Dr. Joseph Warren (Adam Dunlap), Benjamin Franklin (Heather Crum), Samuel Adams (Christiane Clark), and Sibyl Ludington (Caitlyn Davis) showed off their historical garb in the hallway before the meeting commenced.

Ethan Matthews
Mr. Patrick Horan’s homeroom AP U.S. History class participates in Meeting of the Minds.

Inside the classroom, loyalists and patriots waged a passionate debate about colony rights, taxation, and the treatment under British rule.

“We’d rather be friends with croissant-loving Frenchmen than you!” shouted Roger Sherman, a statesman and signer of the Declaration of Independence, in response to King George’s pleas for loyalty.

The Meeting of the Minds poses thought-provoking questions that students must answer according to their persona at the time of the Revolutionary War. Debate helps students to examine aspects of the period in US history from all angles and viewpoints, often with a humorous result.

Said Dr. Joseph Warrens, “I’m going to level with you [King George], at first I didn’t want to start a war, but then you had to go and pull all that stuff in Boston- that whole massacre thing wasn’t cool, man.”