The Lion's Roar

Menchville and Gildersleeve Band Concert

The combined bands brought Christmas cheer to all those in attendance

The Menchville High School Band and the band students from Gildersleeve Middle School came together for a combined holiday concert.

Carlie Stewart

Carlie Stewart, Staff Writer

The Menchville auditorium came alive with Christmas music on December 14th as Menchville High School and Gildersleeve Middle School joined their bands together to share holiday music with their families and friends. The bands- Menchville’s led by Band Director Deborah Sarvay and Gildersleeve’s by Robert Deis- performed various holiday classics like It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year and A Christmas Festival. Everyone was tapping their feet to the beat of the joyful noise, including those onstage and in the audience. Hearing the bands play these holiday tunes helped to put everyone around in the Christmas spirit.

The Gildersleeve Middle School Jazz Band kicked off the night by playing two upbeat numbers, I Can Turn You Loose and My Dinner with Ronald. Many people in the audience were snapping their fingers along to the catchy tunes played by the middle schoolers. The band, full of young and talented musicians, was full of energy and excitement to give their families and friends a great performance.

Afterwards, the Menchville Jazz Band performed In the MoodIt Don’t Mean a Thing (If it Ain’t Got that Swing), and It’s The Most Wonderful Time of the Year. The band transported all within earshot to the streets of New Orleans with the jazzy swing classics, and everyone in attendance was cheering by the end of the band’s set.

The talented 7th grade band from Gildersleeve took the stage alone next, performing Rogue River RhapsodyA Christmas Classic, and Call of the Wild, all of which really set the mood for the holidays. The 8th grade band then joined the stage to perform Kitty Hawk MarchExcalibur, and Ukranian Bell Carol, which had the audience at the edges of their seats as the music filled the entire auditorium.

After Gildersleeve’s musicians played, the Menchville Concert Band performed Into the StormChanteys, and a crowd favorite, The Polar Express. Everyone in the crowd loved the songs because the selections could appeal to all ages in the audience. Next, Menchville’s Symphonic Band performed Arabian Dances, A Christmas Festival, and Stars and Stripes for Christmas– which was a medley of the American classic Stars and Stripes Forever and several traditional Christmas carols.

To conclude the night, Gildersleeve’s 8th grade band and Menchville’s Concert Band joined together onstage to perform Sleigh Ride– a Menchville Christmas concert classic. The stage, packed with bright faces and talented musicians, brought the song to life, wrapping up the concert like a perfect bow on a Christmas present.