Senior Cierra Jones Commits to “Dream College”

Minute with a Monarch

Cierra Jones will always have a smile.

Emma Janney

Cierra Jones “will always have a smile.”

Cierra Jones is a senior at Menchville High School committed to graduate in the spring of 2017.

Jones participates in Key Club, ROTC, National Honors Society, the Wrestling team, the dance team and does “a lot of community service”. Cierra’s dad used to wrestle and was a state champion, so Jones knew she wanted to have something to do with the wrestling team. The wrestling team was looking for a manager,  so Jones took the job.  This job is important because, as manager, the senior must oversee the administrative aspects of the team. However, if she were not managing the wrestling team, she would be on the track team.

Cierra Jones was accepted into a private college called Goldey-Beacom College, her “dream college”, with a four year academic scholarship. She plans to earn her Bachelor of Science in business administration with a concentration in legal studies. Jones says that earning an academic scholarship took a lot of hard work. She also said that she is a big procrastinator. The advice Cierra would give to students trying to earn an academic scholarship is to “keep working hard, striving because you know you’re not getting an athletic scholarship.” Jones values this scholarship as one of her greatest accomplishment. Because of a program offered by  Goldey-Beacom College she will have the opportunity to get her law degree in six years, instead of the usual seven to eight years.

Jones refers to Menchville as a “second home” and a “little family.” She said that her junior year has been her most memorable year, out of her high school career. It was her favorite because it really “tested my character” and “pushed me to do my best – to find my breaking point.”

During her high school career she has seen changes in herself and in the school. The biggest change Jones has seen in herself, she says, is that she is now “more open to opportunities”. In the school as a whole, the senior says she has seen changes in the teachers by “building relationships with them.” Jones also says that “when you build relationships [with teachers] it helps you see where they are coming from and it helps you learn.”

One thing Jones would want other Monarchs to remember about her is her joy and smile. In fact, Jones says that people should know  that she is hardworking and “will always have a smile.”  If Jones  got to pick her superlative she would hope to be named Best All Around. Something Jones wishes she could tell her freshmen self would be to get involved because “these four years go by so quick, make memories.”

Cierra Jones said being a “Monarch” means to have pride in Menchville, as a school. It also means to be strong and to be tenacious.