Star Students represent Menchville at the STAR Awards

Kyle Lumsden

Menchville students from Air Force JROTC, Fare Share, and Student Council Association represented their school at the Newport News Public Schools 2018-2019 Secondary STAR Awards luncheon on Tuesday, April 23.

Nine Menchville students attended the Newport News Public Schools 2018-2019 Secondary STAR Awards luncheon Tuesday, April 23, on behalf of the clubs that were nominated. The STAR Awards, which stand for Students Taking Action and Responsibility, are awarded to clubs of each school in Newport News that exemplify outstanding service to their community. Three representatives were chosen from each club to collect the award on behalf of their school.

Menchville’s Air Force JROTC, Fare Share, and Student Council Association (SCA) were recognized for their service to the community and attended the awards luncheon. Representing Air Force JROTC were Kayshonn DePaul, Howard Ly, and Adam Rivera. Representing Fare Share were Beth Ellis, Sophia Ottofaro, and Melissa Zheng. Representing SCA were Katelyn Elliott, Chloe Lascara, and Morgan Merritt.

Menchville Senior Brianna Powell, Executive Board member of the City-Wide SCA and Mistress of Ceremonies, also represented the school by welcoming everyone to the awards luncheon and introducing Gary Hunter, Chairman of the Newport News School Board, who began remarks and introductions of the Newport News School Board.