Giving Menchville High School and the surrounding community a voice

Dr. George Parker, the NNPS Superintendent, delivers a motivating speech at the start of the show.

NNPS Virtual Block Party: An Uplifting Start for the 2020 School Year

September 20, 2020

On September 10th, NNPS student led podcast, The Vibe, celebrated this school year’s return to learn by holding a virtual party. Hundreds of students, staff, and families joined the live YouTube stream to watch various local talents, hear guest speakers, and participate in social media giveaways. Two of our staff, Wyatt Lee and Kailani Vera took part in this energetic event, and reported their takes.

“The Vibe” hosts first ever virtual block party

Anya Shah announces social media giveaway winners.

Have you heard about “The Vibe”? If you are a student, teacher or parent, “The Vibe” might be just what you’re looking for in positive interactions with all members of the community. Last night, I was able to tune into “The Vibe”, via YouTube. I simply searched NNPStelecom and was easily directed to the site.

On last night’s episode of “The Vibe”, host; Jordan, Jada and Anya gave the stage to guest speakers, a young talented rapper and TikTok great, “Tammy”. There were also lots of giveaway prizes to those that tuned in. Such prizes included: gift cards from Jason’s Deli, Mellow Mushroom and Grab Bags sponsored by One Life Fitness.

Guest speakers included: Dr. Parker, Mr. Brown, Dr. Campbell, Dr. Gerald and The Chief of the Newport News Police Department, Chief Drew. Dr. Parker focused his ideas around the new year and the challenges we will face. Most importantly, he reminded us that he is proud of us. Brown inspired the group to set and meet goals, and build a strong foundation and commitment. ?? Campbell gives us hope for tomorrow. The audience was engaged by positive reinforcement as Campbell reminded us of the challenges of the unknowns. Drew brought humor to the stage, playing along to jealousy in stage and production set-up. He wished all a great year!

Performances included: ‘Lil Rick Rogers and Tammy, TikTok great! ‘Lil Rick Rogers provided the audience with an original rap that included lots of freestyle magic. He has a great journey ahead in the world of music. Speaking of a great journey, let’s talk about Tammy Ortery. She has been smashing the internet scene. She can be found appearing on TikTok, the GMA’s and the 757. On Monday, she will make an appearance on the “Steve Harvey Show”. She definitely represents our community through positive dance and skits. She comes from Newport News’ very own Warwick High School as the Guidance Secretary. She has always wanted to be an entertainer but has worked for NNPS for 20+ years. She is fantastic and keeps us smiling.

Take Away from the evening, as the host and guest perform the “Electric Slide”, it reminds me that we are all “electric”! Some of us produce large volts and others small but no matter what, the power would be out if we didn’t work together. Let’s stay energized and light up our year!