JROTC First Stripe Ceremony 2014

First year JROTC members are given their first stripe in an annual ceremony.

Allison Scherner, News Editor

In a ceremony orchestrated by fourth year cadets, first year JROTC cadets are given their first stripe in front of family, friends, and fellow JROTC personnel. Fourth years write all speeches and all the drills for the ceremony practice in class beforehand. Awards are handed out for First Airman of the Quarter and the award of the Best Flight.

Special guest, Four Star General Mike Hostage, was invited and shook hands with all the beaming first years who walked across the stage to receive their awards. He also took photos and selfies with eager family and friends after the ceremony. Hostage said it was a “great honor seeing the future of our country” and when asked, stated that he may return next year if invited.

The First Airman of the Quarter award went to Cadet Dominque and the Best Flight award went to Flight Bravo. “I think we deserve it,” says Wyatt Edwards, a cadet in the winning flight. “We pay attention and are good students for Sergeant Stevenson.”

Flight Leader Morgan Searcy described the basic routines of the flights that including going through the rule books, wearing the uniform correctly and following the overall code of “Service before self.”

The “lean, mean ROTC machines,” as called by Sergeant Stevenson, will continue to have the ceremony for many years to come. It’s “the biggest day for first year cadets!” says Chief Master Sergeant Rambali enthusiastically. “We do so much with them; I’m very proud! This isn’t about going into the military, it’s about teaching them to be good citizens of the community.”