Key Club Provides Opportunities for Service

Key Club Members Volunteering at the Santa House in December 2013.

The Key Club motto is “Caring-Our way of life”, and according to Sponsor Dennis Zollicoffer that means to “give back to others instead of being selfish with our time and to build leadership”.

Key Club activities include: sponsoring blood drives twice a year, Relay for Life, Special Olympics, Volunteering at local elementary schools, Santa Clause House, Tutoring, the Buckle Up Campaign. The Key Club also sponsors a school in the Philippines.

Not long ago the Key Club was an all-boys group. It was combined with the Keyettes when Mr.Zollicoffer became sponsor, because “when I was in high school it was guys and girls, so one of my first missions was to combine the two because separating by gender is old-fashioned”.

At a recent meeting officers for the 2014-15 school year were elected. They are:

President- Mbiye Kasonga
Vice President- Stephanie Arnold
Secretary- Buzzy Cartaya
Treasurer- Cierra Jones
Sergeant of Arms- Ashley Claiborne
Historian- Spencer Satchell

Zollicoffer enjoys sponsoring the Key Club. “I did it when I was in high school, it is a very fun club and I get the chance to help transfer students into responsible young adults.” He’s most proud of the work students do for the “American Red Cross Blood Drive(we’ve collected over 200 pints of blood)” The Key Club has also raised money for Relay For Life

He says students can join the club by, “Getting information at activities fairs, paying dues, coming to first few meetings and completing four service projects.”