A Tidal Wave of Culture at MHS

Global view of Europe and Northern Africa

Kylee Baines

“Global” view of Europe and Northern Africa

Look out Monarchs! Several Menchville teachers are offering unique and culturally exciting travel experiences in the summers of 2017 and 2018. There are payment plans and fundraising opportunities to help students finance a trip.

Where and when are you going?

We are going to Costa Rica in July 2017 for 8 days

How many students do you plan on taking, and what’s the criteria for them to go?

14 students and 7 adults are traveling. The students all had to be in at least level 2 Spanish last school year (2015-2016)

How much will it cost to go and will there be fundraising to help students cover the costs?

The cost per student is $3,235, and for adults it is $3,570. We have received grants from the Community Knights Bingo program to help cover the cost.

Why this place? What’s the meaning behind it?

Having traveled to Costa Rica before, I know that it’s relatively safe and I know how neat the country is in terms of unique and fun activities that will get students outside of their comfort zone in a very memorable way! The beauty of the country’s rich and diverse landscape and biodiversity is not to be missed! I also think students will enjoy the laid back lifestyle of the “ticos” “Puravida.”

What do you plan on doing there?

We are doing a language immersion tour so each day of the trip will have a different theme and the students will learn vocabulary related to the theme in the morning and then spend the day living out and experiencing it for themselves.

What other trips have you taken students on?

This will be my first trip with students

Where and when are you going?

To Germany on Sunday June 18 to Sunday July 2, 2017.  We will be visiting the cities Greifswald (our sister city) June 19- June 28 and Berlin June 28- July 2

13 – Students taking a language (German) at Menchville or another NN school. They must be high school students, and they are ages 15-18.

$1800 includes flight and Berlin tour. There was one $1000 scholarship awarded, and there will be a fundraiser in May to help offset some costs. Is also less expensive than traditional tours due to home stay and flight discount.

Greifswald is NN sister city, and the students will stay with exchange students. Berlin is the capital and close to Greifswald so it is a smart choice financially and culturally.

What do you plan on doing there?

We will stay with host families, students will visit the high-school and attend classes. We plan to tour Hamburg with this group and visit other surrounding areas. The Berlin tour will be a typical tour of famous sites in the area.

1. Summer 2014 – Germany (similar to this tour) Took 10 students to Greifswald, Berlin, and Munich
  2. Summer 2011 – 10 students to Hamburg and Berlin for exchange program similar to above
  3. Spring 2009 – 7 students to France, Austria, Switzerland, and Germany to tour.

Where and when are you going?

Spain/France, June 22nd – June 30th of 2018

40 students approximately

Have a passport and trip money

How much will cost to go and will there be fundraising to help students cover the costs?

$3,675 (256 monthly)

Fundraising: Carwash, and Bakery/Doughnut sales, along with a donation page on Facebook, and a chicka fillet sale

To learn other people’s culture and help students become global citizens.

What do you plan on doing there?

Take a guided tour of Paris to visit the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe (4 days). Visit by train Barcelona to admire La Sagrada Familia, and see the Markeet and Madrid- “Ole!”

No other previous tours, just local trips, Mexican restaurants, Theater.

Where and when are you going?

Late June/ Early July of 2018

Italy, Rome, and Pompeii

Hopefully 8-10 students; the criteria is seriousness and interest and meeting with parents. Anyone can go.

$3800

There is not group fundraising as it is technically not a school trip, monthly payment plans are usually chosen and most parents have students work for some of all of it.

I’m a Latin teacher, so Italy it’s a natural -Rome & Pompeii especially.

What do you plan on doing there?

Itinerary: Venice, Florence, Assisi, Pompeii, Rome

See as many sights as possible

Similar to trip to Italy 2 years ago.

Where and when are you going?

Greece- Athens, Olympia, Delphi, Corinth, and Argolida on June 27 – July 5, 2018. I planned it out a year so the payments are affordable and we can fundraise.

18 students, the more the merrier! To join they need to log on to www.eftours.com/1900370HX and start payments, along with bringing their love of travel and adventure!

How much will it cost to go, and will there be fundraising to help students cover the costs?

233 a month (or 8.00 a day) Automatic monthly payment plan. Yes, fundraising all year to add directly to your bottom line. You are assigned a Donation page that is yours! You can send the link out to grandparents at Christmas, “don’t buy me a sweater, help send me to the temple of Zeus!” They can send money directly to that link; all fundraising goes directly to your balance.

Connected to The Odyssey unit when I rolled the trip out to the class. Out of 5 stars on the reviews, it was ranked 4.7. What is it like to live in a country where classical mythology and ancient history still have a presence on everyday life? I want to walk in the footsteps of ancient Greeks at the Acropolis, and wander through the “neighborhood of the Gods.”

What do you plan on doing there?

See the: Temple of Zeus, Temple of Poseidon, First Olympic stadium, Temple of Athena Nike, Acropolis Museum, and the Kritios boy. To: swim in the blue water and put my toes in the white sand, participate in a pottery making workshop, cruise the Saronic Islands, shop, eat incredible food and pastries, laugh, and wonder!

PFAC, Daily Press Field Trip, Richmond. This will be the first of many trips with EF tours. I’m planning Italy in June of 2019 with my Romeo & Juliet unit!